Ideally, the process of applying for undergraduate study in the US will begin 1-1½ years before enrollment at university. For most students, this is during the spring/summer at the end of lower sixth. Do not panic if you are entering upper sixth and are just now getting started on the admissions process. You will simply need to work at a faster pace!
1 - 1 1/2 Years Before Enrollment (Spring/Early Summer at the End of Lower Sixth):
- Getting Started? Contact First Point USA to arrange an initial consultation and to learn more your eligibility for a place at an American university.
- Begin to research the universities to which you would like to apply. First Point USA can provide you with guidance and additional insight.
- Based on the universities you are interested in, First Point USA will decide whether you need to take an admissions test (such as the SAT Reasoning and/or Subject Tests or ACT) and will register you accordingly.
1 Year Before Enrollment (Autumn/Early Winter of Upper Sixth):
- If you have not already, register and sit an admissions test.
- Make a final decision on the universities you would like to apply to.
- Work on your admissions applications with First Point USA
- Alongside your admissions applications, and if required, First Point USA will assist with the application for funding from US universities and external funding bodies.
- Submit your applications. Early Decision (legally binding) and Early Action deadlines are generally in October/early November, while regular admissions deadlines tend to be in December/January.
Lead up to Enrollment (Spring/Summer of Upper Sixth):
- Receive admissions decisions by post or email.
- Notify the universities of your decision and apply for your visa.
- August: Enrollment – Begin study in the US!